Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Obsessions of a Woman of a Certain Age - Cohen & cats

It's been very quiet here lately because I've been frantically preparing for a solo exhibition at 69 Smith Street Gallery, Fitzroy. You might call it a self-indulgent celebration of things I love!

It's installed now, in a small gallery upstairs.  There are two bodies of work - A Taxonomy of (Art) Cats, linocut prints of cats from Art History, organised into pseudo-scientific classifications; and From the Book of L.C., a cluster of small paintings of fragments of Leonard Cohen poetry/lyrics in colourful abstract fields. The opening is on Saturday afternoon - do drop in if you are able!
Here is a peek at the paintings. It's not actually that blue. I was SURE I had the camera on the right setting!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I could get along to see this Penny! I'm not sure if we're exactly the same age, but we must be close enough as these are pretty much my obsessions too (although I am a recent convert to the Church of Cohen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you have very good taste, Amanda! Better late than never, to come to appreciate Leonard. Even though it seems hard to believe from your photo, I think I recall reading something in one of your posts which suggested that we are in the same (large) ballpark, age-wise. It's been fun, making the work...although some of the printing was very problematic and frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on this exhibition Penny. I wish I could see those gorgeous linocuts of the cats from Art History.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I will try to post some more images soon.

      Delete